(Community Health Network Area)
The CHNA5 began in 1992 as one of 26 funded by the Department of Public Health throughout Massachusetts. The CHNA5 is the designated Community Health Network for Brimfield, Brookfield, Oxford, Southbridge, Spencer, Sturbridge, Wales, Warren, Webster and West Brookfield. The original purpose of the CHNA5 was to work closely with local health care agencies and providers though active networking and sharing of information and resources.
In 1998 the funding from the Department of Public Health was discontinued and so it was difficult to fulfill this original purpose. The CHNA5 took on a different role and eventually became inactive. In late 2006, the CHNA5 was re-organized and funded through DON money received because of an MRI purchased by Harrington Memorial Hospital.
Since 2007, the CHNA5 has written new Operating Principals, established a Steering Committee and has increased its General Membership so that once again the CHNA5 is fulfilling its original purpose and much more. Our accomplishments over the last 2 years include receiving a Health Foundation Grant to complete a Health Assessment of our 15 CHNA5 communities. The Health Assessment is being distributed throughout the communities. The Health Foundation Grant has also funded a Website that is due to be launched officially in September of 2009.
The CHNA5 General Membership meets quarterly to allow our members the opportunity to network and share information and resources important to us all. Our overall goal is to eliminate health problems in Southern Worcester County. We use a broad definition of health as providers and local health agencies. Health is not the absence of disease. Health is defined broadly to include the full range of quality of life issues. It recognizes that most of what creates health is lifestyle- and behavior related. Other major factors are genetic endowment and the socio-economic, cultural and physical environment. Health is a by-product of a wide array of choices and factors, not the simply result of a medical care intervention.
At our January of 2009, at our Quarterly Meeting we decided that we were at a crucial point in our CHNA5 re-organization. We decided that it was time to hold a Strategic Planning Conference to help us formulate a one year and a three year Strategic Plan. We held our conference in March 2009. It was very well attended and a success. We have developed our One Year Plan. It is one of action through the use of an outreach strategy, marketing of the CHNA5 through mixed media and active recruitment and retention of new members.
Over the next few months watch for our Three Year Plan on our Website. Here is our One Year Plan for your review.
CHNA 5 Strategic Planning Conference-Results
Our Recommended 1 Year Plan
Steering Committee Responsibilities
· Regularly scheduled meetings
· Budget Reports
· Increase Steering Committee membership
· Increase internal communication of Steering Committee meetings/minutes
· Steering Committee orientation
· Oversee outreach to targeted communities
· Create brochure
· Create membership packet
· Create strategy for outreach to CHNA5 communities
· Develop grass roots campaign
· Hire part time coordinator
· Develop sub-committees and recruit members
General Membership Recruitment
· Create plan to expand & maintain membership
· Disburse CHNA5 information to all communities. (brochure, health assessment and website access)
· Help with General Membership recruitment in the CHNA5 communities
· CHNA5 at large members need to join subcommittees in order to complete our one year and our three year Strategic Plans
Year One Goals
· Select a new name for CHNA5
· Introduce and foster utilization of our Website
· Distribute brochures and the Health Assessment to CHNA5 communities
· Hire a part-time CHNA5 coordinator
· Increase membership in the CHNA5
· Plan one major CHNA5 event
|CHNA 5 OperatingPrinciples(HealthyComm.Princ).doc||71 KB|